HMCS Provider (AOR-508)
From Canadian Power Wiki
The HMCS Provider (AOR-508) was a ship used by the Royal Canadian Navy/CF MARCOM from 1963-2003 to resupply ships at sea with food, munitions, fuel and spare parts. It had more sophisticated medical and dental facilities than smaller vessels. Only one ship of this class was built. She was built by Davie Shipbuilding and Repairing Company Limited of Lauzon, Quebec.
Originally assigned to the East coast, her open deck made her vulnerable and she was re-assigned to the West coast. She was decommissioned in 2003 and turned into a museum ship in Victoria, British Columbia.
- Type: Replenishment Vessel (Hull designation symbol AOR)
- Service Period: 1963-2003
- Length: 551 feet (167.95 meters)
- Beam: 76 feet (23.17 meters)
- Draft: 31 feet (9.45 meters)
- Displacement (Light): 8,176 tons (Standard); 24,640 tons (Full Load)
- Crew: 166 (35 officers and 131 enlisted)
- Propulsion: Double reduction geared turbines, 2 water boilers, single shaft, 21,000 shp (16 MW)
- Speed: 21 knots (38.9 km/h)
- Aircraft Carried: 3 × Sikorsky CH-124A Sea King helicopters
- Aviation Facilities: Aft deck hangar and Flight Deck with beartrap