Shivalik-class Multirole Stealth Frigate
From Canadian Power Wiki
The Shivalik-class (or Project 17-class) is a class of multi-role stealth frigates in service with the Indian Navy. They are the first stealth warships built in India. A total of three ships were built between 2000 and 2010, and all three were in commission by 2012.
The Shivalik-class, along with the Project 17A frigates, are projected be the principal frigates of the Indian Navy in the first half of the 21st century. All ships of the class were built by Mazagon Dock Limited. The class and the lead vessel have been named for the Shivalik hills. Subsequent vessels in the class are also named for hill-ranges in India.
Originally conceived as a successor to the Talwar-class frigates, the Shivalik-class frigates feature improved stealth features and land attacking capabilities.
- Type: Stealth Multirole Frigate
- Service Period: 2010-
- Length: 468 feet (142.65 meters)
- Beam: 55 feet (16.77 meters)
- Draught: 15 feet (4.57 meters)
- Displacement: 6,200 tonnes (6,100 long tons; 6,800 short tons) full load
- Crew: 257 (35 officers and 222 enlisted)
- 2 x Pielstick 16 PA6 STC Diesel engines: 15,200 shp (11,300 kW)
- 2 x GE LM2500+ gas turbines: 33,600 shp (25,100 kW)
- boost turbines in CODOG configuration.
- Speed: 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph), 22 knots (41 km/h; 25 mph) (diesel engines)
- Sensor Suite:
- 1 x MR-760 Fregat M2EM 3-D radar
- 4 x MR-90 Orekh radar
- 1 x ELTA EL/M 2238 STAR
- 2 x ELTA EL/M 2221 STGR
- 1 x BEL APARNA
- HUMSA (hull-mounted sonar array)
- ATAS/Thales Sintra towed array systems
- Electronic Warfare & Countermeasures
- BEL Ajanta electronic warfare suite
- 1 x 76.2mm Otobreda, naval gun
- 8 x VLS launched Klub/BrahMos, anti-ship cruise missiles
- 2 x twin fire DTA-53-956 torpedo launchers
- 2 x RBU-6000 (RPK-8) rocket launchers
- Shtil-1 missile system, with 24 short to medium range (30.58 km) missiles
- Barak SAM-launcher CIWS
- 2 x AK-630 CIWS
- Aircraft Carried: 2 x HAL Dhruv or Sea King Mk. 42B helicopters.
|Name||Pennant||Laid down||Launched||Sea trials||Commissioning||Home port|
|INS Shivalik||F47||11 July 2001||18 April 2003||February 2009||29 April 2010 ||Visakhapatnam|
|INS Satpura||F48||31 October 2002||4 June 2004||2010–2011||20 August 2011 ||Visakhapatnam|
|INS Sahyadri||F49||30 September 2003||27 May 2005||2011–2012||21 July 2012||Visakhapatnam|
- Why Shivalik-class frigates matter to India
- Cdr. A.K. Lambhate, "Stealth is Wealth", Sainik Samachar, Vol. 51, No. 14, 16–31 July 2004, Ministry of Defence (India).
- India to boost 'blue-water' warfare punch with two new stealth frigates