Type 21 Frigate
From Canadian Power Wiki
The Type 21 frigate, or Amazon-class frigate, were a class of general purpose frigates in the Royal Navy that were designed in the late 1960s, built in the 1970s and served throughout the 1980s into the 1990s. They were built to replace the obsolete Leopard and Salisbury-class frigates that had served in the early 1950s.
- Type: General Purpose Frigate
- Service Period: 1974-1994
- Length (Waterline): 360 feet (109.73 meters)
- Length (Overall): 384 feet (117.04 meters)
- Beam: 41.8 feet (12.74 meters)
- Draught: 19 feet (5.8 meters)
- Displacement (Original): 2,750 tons (standard); 3,250 tons (full load)
- Displacement (Strengthened): 2,860 tons (standard); 3,360 tons (full load)
- Crew: 177 (13 officers and 164 ratings)
- Speed: 32 knots (59.27 km/h)
- COGOG on 2 shafts;
- 2 x Tyne cruise turbines: 8,500 shp (6,300 kW)
- 2 x Olympus boost turbines: 50,000 shp (37,000 kW)
- 4,000 nautical miles at 17 knots
- 3,500 nautical miles at 18 knots
- 1,200 nautical miles at 30 knots
- Sensor Suite:
- 1 x Type 992Q low-level search radar
- 1 x Type 978 navigation radar
- 2 x Type 912 fire-control radar
- Type 184M and 162M Sonar
- 1 x 4.5"/55-caliber Mk.8 naval gun
- 4 x 20mm Oerlikon guns
- 1 x 4-rail GWS.24 Sea Cat SAM Launcher
- 4 x MM38 Exocet AShM Launchers
- 2 x 12.75" triple fire torpedo tubes
- 2 x 8-barrelled Knebworth Corvus countermeasures launchers
- Aircraft Carried: 1 x Westland Lynx or Westland Wasp
- HMS Amazon (F169) - Sold to Pakistan as PNS Babur.
- HMS Antelope (F170) - Bombed by Argentine A-4 Skyhawks on May 23, 1982 and sank following day in San Carlos Water.
- HMS Active (F171) - Sold to Pakistan as PNS Shah Jahan.
- HMS Ambuscade (F172) - Sold to Pakistan as PNS Tariq.
- HMS Arrow (F173) - Sold to Pakistan as PNS Khaibar.
- HMS Alacrity (F174) - Sold to Pakistan as PNS Badr.
- HMS Ardent (F184) - Bombed by Argentine A-4 Skyhawks on May 21, 1982 in San Carlos Water and sank following day in Grantham Sound.
- HMS Avenger (F185) - Sold to Pakistan as PNS Tippu Sultan.