Rocky Mountain-class Fleet Replenishment Oiler
From Canadian Power Wiki
The Rocky Mountain-class Fleet Replenishment Oiler is a large class of auxiliary vessel in service the Canadian Forces Maritime Command from 2003 onwards built to replace the aging Provider and Protecteur-class fleet replenishment oilers. Originally there were only five vessels planned, however in the mid-2010s, another five Rocky Mountain-class oilers were planned for construction after the Titan-class fleet supertankers were commissioned.
The vessel design was a 840-foot-long double-hulled vessel, which had three bunkers - two for marine diesel and one for aviation fuel, though all three could be used for marine diesel if needed - which had four refueling rigs and a large helipad on the end of the vessel. Four loading cranes also were installed, and the vessel could also carry 155 20-foot containers of the same design as used by the Canadian Forces. The vessel, which also could serve as a command center and mad many advanced features, was powered by eight geared General Motors Model 265 turbodiesel engines, giving the 52,000-ton vessel a maximum speed of some 24 knots (44.45 km/h), faster than the Provider and Protecteur-class vessels.
The design, which would called the Rocky Mountain-class, was approved by parliament on November 14th, 2000. The first was laid down on January 10th, 2001, at the MIL Davie Shipyards in Lauzon, Quebec.
In the late-2010s, Canada ordered a further five Rocky Mountain-class replenishment oilers.
- Type: Fleet Replenishment Oilers (Hull designation symbol AOR)
- Service Period: 2003-
- Builders: SNC Lavalin, MIL-Davie Shipbuilding
- Length: 840 feet (256.03 meters)
- Beam: 106 feet (32.31 meters)
- Height (Overall): 154 feet (46.94 meters)
- Displacement: 52,000 tons
- Crew: 394 officers, enlisted, and air crew
- Propulsion: 8 x General Motors Model 265 turbodiesel engines
- Speed: 24 knots (44.45 km/h)
- Sensor Suite
- AN/SPS-49A(V)1 2D Air Search Radar
- 2 x Otobreda 76mm lightweight gun
- 2 x 20mm Vulcan Phalanx CIWS
- Aviation Facilities: 1 large flight deck, and facilities
- Aircraft: 4 x CH-147C Chinook heavy lift transport helicopters
- HMCS Rocky Mountain (AOR-511)
- HMCS Niagara Falls (AOR-512)
- HMCS Lake Louise (AOR-513)
- HMCS Mount Logan (AOR-514)
- HMCS Baffin Island (AOR-515)
- HMCS Vancouver Island (AOR-518)
- HMCS Ellesmere Island (AOR-519)
- HMCS Nunavut (AOR-520)
- HMCS Caicos Banks (AOR-521)
- HMCS Mont Royal (AOR-522)
- SAS Outeniqua (A304)