Forrestal-class Aircraft Carrier
From Canadian Power Wiki
The Forrestal-class aircraft carriers were a four-ship class designed and built for the United States Navy in the 1950s. It was the first class of so-called supercarriers, combining high tonnage, deck-edge elevators and an angled deck. The first ship was commissioned in 1955, the last decommissioned in 1998. The Forrestal would be transferred to Canada and become HMCS Warrior (CV-24), Saratoga would replace the Essex-class USS Lexington as the USN's training carrier, Ranger became a museum ship, and Independence became an artificial reef in 2005.
Specifications[edit | edit source]
- Type: Supercarrier (Hull designation symbol CV, CVA, and CVB)
- Service Period: 1955-Present
- Length (Waterline): 990 feet (301.75 meters)
- Length (Overall): 1,070 feet (326.14 meters)
- Beam (Waterline): 130 feet (39.63 meters)
- Beam (Overall): 270 feet (82.3 meters)
- Draft: 35 feet 9 inches (10.9 meters)
- Displacement: 60,000 tons (Standard); 81,101 tons (Full Load)
- Crew: 5,357 (3,126 ship crew, 2,089 air crew, 70 flag staff, 72 marines)
- Propulsion: 8 x Babcock and Wilcox boilers, 4 x Westinghouse geared turbines, four shafts, 280,000 shaft horsepower (210,000 kW)
- Range: 8,000 nautical miles (14,816 km) at 20 knots (37.04 km/hr), 4,000 nautical miles (7,408 km) at 30 knots (55.56 km/hr)
- Speed: 34 knots (62.97 km/hr)
- Sensor Suite
- AN/SPS-10 Surface Search Radar
- AN/SPS-48C 3D Air Search Radar
- AN/SPS-49(V)5 2D Air Search Radar
- AN/SPS-64 Navigation Radar
- AN/SPS-67(V)1 Surface Search Radar
- Mk.91 Missile Fire Control Radar
- AN/SLQ-29 Electronic Warfare Suite
- AN/SLQ-32 Electronic Warfare Suite
- Mk.36 SBROC Decoy Launcher
- 8 x Mk.42 5"/54-caliber naval guns (removed)
- 2 x Mk.29 8-cell NATO Sea Sparrow Missile Launchers
- 3 x 20mm Vulcan Phalanx CIWS
- Aircraft Carried: 70-90 fixed wing aircraft and helicopters
- Aircraft Supported: C-1 Trader, E-1 Tracer, C-2 Greyhound, E-2 Hawkeye, S-2 Tracker, S-3 Viking, A-4 Skyhawk, F-4 Phantom II, A-6 Intruder, EA-6B Prowler, A-7 Corsair II, F-8 Crusader, F-14 Tomcat, F/A-18 Hornet, SH-3 Sea King, SH-60 Seahawk, HH-60 Rescue Hawk
- Aviation Facilities: hangar, angled 326.1 x 82.3 meter flight deck, 4 steam catapults
Unit Run[edit | edit source]
- USS Forrestal (CV-59) - transferred to Canada and commissioned as HMCS Warrior (CV-24).
- USS Saratoga (CV-60) - refitted and recommissioned as training carrier USS Saratoga (AVT-60).
- USS Ranger (CV-61) - preserved as a museum ship on the Columbia River at the Chinook Landing Marine Park in Fairview, Oregon.
- USS Independence (CV-62) - sunk as an artificial reef in 2005.