Adelaide-class Guided Missile Frigate
From Canadian Power Wiki
The Adelaide-class guided missile frigates are a class of air defense warship constructed in Australia and the United States of America for service in the Royal Australian Navy. The class is based on the United States Navy's Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates, but modified for Australian requirements. The first four vessels were built in the United States, while the other two were constructed in Australia.
The first ship entered service in November 1980, (Insert Number) of the six are active. Sydney was scuttled in June 2008 after being shot up by the Indian Air Force. Adelaide and Newcastle were sunk by Indonesian attacks. The remaining three were decommissioned and replaced in 2011 and 2017 respectively. The Adelaide-class is being replaced by the Sydney-class frigates.
- Type: Guided Missile Frigate (Hull designation symbol FFG)
- Service Period: 1980-2017
- Length: 455 feet (138.68 meters)
- Beam: 45 feet (13.72 meters)
- Draft: 22 feet (6.71 meters)
- Displacement: 4,100 tons (Full Load)
- Crew: 199
- Propulsion: 2 x General Electric LM2500 gas turbines, each providing 20,500 hp (15,287 kW). Total 41,000 hp (30,574 kW)
- Range: 4,500 nautical miles (8,370 kilometers; 5,200 mi) at 20 knots (37.04 km/h; 23 mph)
- Speed: 30 knots (55.56 km/h)
- Sensor Suite:
- AN/SQSR-19(V)2 Towed Array Sonar
- AN/SPS-48 3D Air Search Radar
- AN/SPS-49 2D Air Search Radar
- AN/SPS-55 Surface Search Radar
- AN/SQS-56 Hull Mounted Sonar
- Mk.92 Fire Control System
- AN/SLQ-25 Nixie torpedo countermeasures suite
- AN/SLQ-32(V)5 Electronic Warfare Suite
- 1 x OTO Melara 76mm/62-caliber naval gun
- 1 x Mk.13 Single Arm Missile Launcher
- 1 x 8-cell Mk.41 VLS
- 1 x 20mm Phalanx CIWS
- 2 x 12.75" Mk.32 triple fire torpedo tubes
- Aircraft Carried: 2 x S-70B Seahawk or 1 x Seahawk and 1 x AS350B Squirrel
- HMAS Adelaide (FFG-01) - destroyed by Indonesian C-802 AShMs in 2015.
- HMAS Canberra (FFG-02) - decommissioned in 2013.
- HMAS Sydney (FFG-02) - seriously damaged by Indian AF attack, scuttled in 2008.
- HMAS Darwin (FFG-03) - decommissioned in 2017.
- HMAS Melbourne (FFG-05) - decommissioned in 2017.
- HMAS Newcastle (FFG-06) - seriously damaged by Indonesian air attack, scuttled.